Tuesday, July 31, 2018

My Beach Reads

We just wrapped up a much needed family vacation to the beach. It was our first beach trip without cousins, aunts/uncles and grandparents but we survived! Dan and I were a little nervous about being on our own - we are always outnumbered - but we had a great time. We did miss the adult conversations and having cousins around to play with the kids. 

I thought for sure this would be the year that I could spend hours reading on the beach. It wasn't exactly that way but I did manage to finish two books over the 10 days we were away. I stopped at the library before we left to pick up various options but two digital loans I've been waiting for became available right before we left. So, I ended up reading on an iPad at the beach. I don't love doing that for a number of reasons but it worked out fine. 

Elin Hilderbrand is one of my favorites, especially, for a good beach read so I was thrilled when The Perfect Couple came available just in time for vacation. Besides her writing style, I love the recipes, menus and food descriptions she works into every book. 


 The Perfect Couple by [Hilderbrand, Elin]


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s Nantucket wedding season, also known as summer-the sight of a bride racing down Main Street is as common as the sun setting at Madaket Beach. The Otis-Winbury wedding promises to be an event to remember: the groom’s wealthy parents have spared no expense to host a lavish ceremony at their oceanfront estate. 

But it’s going to be memorable for all the wrong reasons after tragedy strikes: a body is discovered in Nantucket Harbor just hours before the ceremony-and everyone in the wedding party is suddenly a suspect. As Chief of Police Ed Kapenash interviews the bride, the groom, the groom’s famous mystery-novelist mother, and even a member of his own family, he discovers that every wedding is a minefield-and no couple is perfect. Featuring beloved characters from The Castaways, Beautiful Day, and A Summer Affair, The Perfect Couple proves once again that Elin Hilderbrand is the queen of the summer beach read.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other book I read was the second in the Peachtree Bluff series by Kristy Woodson Harvey called The Secret to Southern Charm. I finished the first, Slightly South of Simple earlier this summer and was glad to read the second immediately after. 

The Peachtree Bluff series focuses on three sisters and their mother in a small, Southern town. I like that the books go back and forth between two of the characters each chapter. The first book was the mother and eldest sister and the second book was the mother and middle sister. They were both fun, easy reads perfect for the pool or beach. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leaving fans “practically [begging] for a sequel” (Bookpage), critically acclaimed author Kristy Woodson Harvey returns with the second novel in her beloved Peachtree Bluff series, featuring a trio of sisters and their mother who discover a truth that will change not only the way they see themselves, but also how they fit together as a family.

After finding out her military husband is missing in action, middle sister Sloane’s world crumbles as her worst nightmare comes true. She can barely climb out of bed, much less summon the strength to be the parent her children deserve.

Her mother, Ansley, provides a much-needed respite as she puts her personal life on hold to help Sloane and her grandchildren wade through their new grief-stricken lives. But between caring for her own aging mother, her daughters, and her grandchildren, Ansley’s private worry is that secrets from her past will come to light.

But when Sloane’s sisters, Caroline and Emerson, remind Sloane that no matter what, she promised her husband she would carry on for their young sons, Sloane finds the support and courage she needs to chase her biggest dreams—and face her deepest fears. Taking a cue from her middle daughter, Ansley takes her own leap of faith and realizes that, after all this time, she might finally be able to have it all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's on your summer reading list? 



No comments:

Post a Comment